Terms & Conditions for How Do You Like Iceland Rental Agreements
Age and driving license:
1) The lessee/driver of a passenger car or a jeep has to be at least 20 years old and
driver license held for at least one year.
2) The lessee/driver of a bigger vehicles which according to law at any given time
requires extended driver license shall present appropriate license at the start of rental.
3) Method of payment:
a) The estimated rental charges will be charged upon signing this agreement. If the order is made online, your credit card will be charged the full amount upon reservation - 85% hereof is refundable up to 48 hours before the rental period begins. Lessee’s valid credit card required. Visa & MasterCard credit cards accepted.
b) A credit card imprint will be taken at the start of all rentals for security reasons, even when a voucher covers the cost of the rental. This credit card imprint may be used to pay all extra charges, parking tickets, damages, tank refill or any cost due to the use of the rented vehicle. Should a vehicle be returned prematurely according to the return time stated in the agreement, the full amount will be charged unless specifically stated in the agreement.
Obligations of the lessee:
5) The lessee agrees to the provisions of the lease and has received a copy of it.
6) The lessee will return the vehicle:
a)With all attachments, including tires, tools, documents, maps and other items that were in or on the vehicle at the start of rental, in the same condition as upon reception, except for normal wear and tear from use. If something is missing the lessee agrees that the cost price of individual items that are absent when the vehicle is returned will be charged to his or her credit card. The same applies if extra parts that came with the vehicle are missing upon the vehicle’s return or if returned in an unsatisfactory condition, i.e. these items will be charged to the lessee´s credit card.
b) On the date and time specified by the lease, unless otherwise agreed later.
7) If the lessee violates the terms of this contract or does not return the automobile at the time agreed according to lease, or does not declare his intention to extend the lease, the lessor or the police are authorized to repossess the vehicle without further notice and at the lessee´s cost. Extending the lease is dependent on the consent of the lessor. If the lessee returns the vehicle 1 hour or later after the lease has expired, the lessor is authorized to demand up to 24-hours rental under the terms of the lease. For every day that begins thereafter, lessor may collect all charges as per the lessor’s pricelist.
8) The vehicle shall be handled and driven carefully and according to Icelandic traffic regulations. Only those of the agreement are anamed as drivers on the first page are authorized to drive the automobile. The vehicle has to be returned to the pick-up location unless specifically pre-arranged with the lessor. If the vehicle is not returned with a full fuel tank lessor is authorized to charge the lessee for refueling the vehicle according to the lessor’s pricelist. The lessee is liable for damage resulting from use of the automobile for which no compensation will be paid by the insurance company. This includes damages to the automobile and/or injury to passengers due to the following:
Special terms relating to vehicle class:
a) Class A, Class B, Class C, Class L and Class X vehicles are permitted to drive on all roads, F-roads and tracks, through fords and across rivers. It is STRICTLY prohibited to drive the vehicle into the sea and fresh water deeper than the radius of the wheels.
b) Class D, Class G, Class F, Class Z and Class E are STRICTLY prohibited from driving on roads that are marked with an F on public maps, as well as driving the Kjölur (road 35) or Kaldidalur (road 550). It is STRICTLY prohibited to drive the vehicle across rivers or any kind of waterways
c) A breach of article 7a authorizes lessor to collect fines from the lessee, equaling the amount of own-risk as stated in lessor´s pricelist at any given time. The aforementioned provision on fines does not affect the lessee’s liability regarding damage.
d) It is prohibited to drive the rented vehicle:
• On off-road/track driving, for example, in paths and tracks, on beaches, in areas
only accessible during low tide, or in other trackless areas.
• Under the influence of any intoxicants.
• In banks of snow and ice.
• In any way that contravenes Icelandic law and/or the provisions of the lease.
9) The rented vehicle shall not be used to carry passengers or property for hire.
10) The rented vehicle shall not be used to carry passengers in excess of the capacity stipulated in the vehicle registration certificate.
11) The rented vehicle shall not be used to carry passengers, goods or materials in excess of the rated weight carrying capacity of the vehicle as stipulated in the vehicle registration certificate.
12) The rented vehicle shall not be used to carry passengers other than in the interior or cab of the vehicle.
13) The rented vehicle shall not be used to push, propel or tow another vehicle, trailer or any other thing without the written permission of the Owner.
14) The rented vehicle shall not be used for any race or in any competition.
15) The rented vehicle shall not be used for any illegal purpose.
16) The Renter shall not operate the vehicle in a negligent manner.
17) The rented vehicle shall not be operated by any other person other than the Lessee stipulated in this agreement without the written permission of the Owner.
18) In the event of a collision or accident the lessee shall immediately notify the appropriate police authorities as well as the lessor of the incident, and the lessee may not leave the scene before the police have arrived.
19) The number of kilometers (km) that the vehicle is driven while the lease is in force is determined by reading a normal odometer supplied with the vehicle by the manufacturer. The lessee shall notify the lessor as soon as possible if the odometer is out of order
or stops functioning during the term of the lease.
20) The lessor is not responsible for the disappearance of or damage to property that the lessee or any other party leaves in or transports with the vehicle. The lessee agrees to pay the lessor, upon request, any and all expenses incurred by the lessor if he has to bring the vehicle back to his premises, in the event that it has been left somewhere without supervision, without regard to condition of the vehicle, the roads or the weather.
21) The lessee is not authorized to have repairs done or make changes to the vehicle or its accessories, or to put the vehicle up as any kind of security, without the prior consent of the lessor.
22) The lessee is liable for all parking meter charges and fines for breaking traffic laws.
23) The lessor reserves the right to collect a charge from the lessee, charged against his or her credit card, according to lessor´s pricelist, lessor has to pay fines for the lessee and/or inform the authorities about the lessee because of traffic violations. The lessee is not authorized to use the vehicle to transport passengers for payment, lend it to others, or sublease it.
Obligations of the Lessor:
24) The lessor undertakes to supply the vehicle at the agreed time and see to that it meets the demands made for it.
25) If the vehicle malfunctions, the lessor shall supply the lessee with a comparable vehicle as soon as possible. If the damage is minor, the lessee is authorized to have repairs done on the vehicle after obtaining the lessors consent, at lessors cost.
26) The lessor shall inform the lessee of the content of the agreement particularly as regards the obligations that the lessee undertakes by signing it.
27) The lessor shall inform the foreign lessee regarding Icelandic traffic regulations, traffic signs, and regulations banning off-road driving. The lessor shall particularly point out the dangers stemming from animals on the roads.
28) If the lessor wants to limit the use of the vehicle with regard to its equipment and/or conditions, this shall be done in writing when the lease is signed. The lessor undertakes to maintain valid liability insurance for his business operations.
Insurance and provision:
29) The lease sum/rental fee includes mandatory vehicle insurance, including liability insurance and accident insurance for the driver and the owner.
30) The lessee is totally responsible for any and all damage to or loss of the leased vehicle. The lessee is liable for damages to the vehicle for an amount up to 250.000 isk which will be charged to the credit card in case of incurred damages. If the lessee has bought the additional SCDW insurance the self risk is lowered to 80.000isk.
a) In case the vehicle is damaged by driving or acts that are illegal or a violation to this contract, the self risk is repealed and unlimited, even if a SCDW has been bought.
31) All tire and underbody damages as well as damages due to water are charged to the lessee/driver and are not covered by the insurance
32) Third-party liability insurance will consist of the amount stipulated by Icelandic law at any given time.
33) The Lessee confirms with his or her signature to this rental agreement that he or she received the vehicle and attachments in sound condition.
34) Signing this rental agreement is equal to lessee´s signature for a credit card transaction due to payments of charges which lessor charges to lessee’s credit card and is rightfully claimed by lessor according to provisions of this rental agreement.
35) This rental agreement shall always be in the vehicle while at the responsibility of the lessee.
36) Additions and amendments to the conditions and provisions of this lease agreement shall be made in writing.
37) Icelandic law applies to agreements made on the basis of terms stated above. This includes any claims for compensation that might be made. This applies both to the basis for and the calculation of compensation. The same applies to claims for damage based on liability outside this agreement. If legal disputes arise concerning the lease agreement, they will be heard before the lessor´s legal venue.
38) It should be pointed out that disputes between the parties to the lease agreement can be submitted to the Arbitration committee of the Icelandic Consumer´s Association and the Icelandic Travel Industry Association.